Upload and Download File From seperate file server

Dec 21, 2011 at 7:55 AM

Dear Friends,

I have implemented both functionality; its working fine, currently it upload and download file from folder which is located in same virtual directory.

but now i wanteted to upload file to seperate file server and download from that server.

how can i implement ? please help me on this.

Dec 21, 2011 at 8:10 AM

Just so I'm clear on what you want to acccomplish...

You want your SL Client to upload and download files to a web server that is different than the one hosting the SL Application?

If yes, then...

1. Create a new web app on the "other" server that just hosts the File Handlers.
2. Create a cross domain policy on this "other" server, so that SL will allow you to communicate across domains
3. On the client side, you'll have to specify the absolute URI to new handlers

Example URI: http://otherserverUri.com/FileUpload.ashx

If no, and you just want to store the files on a remote file server, then...

1. In your upload file handler, you'll just have to save the uploaded file to the remote server
2. In your download file handler, you'll have to copy the remote file locally first, and then transmit the local copy

If you do this, you will need to ensure your AppPool (Work Process) Identity has R/W Permissions to access the remote file share

Mar 8, 2012 at 1:21 PM

Hi,

I have done the steps mentioned above. but its not working, it just open the download screen and stops, no error , no download progress.

Any web.config changes required?

can please tell How it works?

Regards,

Raj

Mar 8, 2012 at 5:03 PM

To confirm, you have your silverlight application running from Web Server A, and it's attempting to upload/download from Web Server B?

If this is correct; then I assume you have the Upload/Download Handler deployed to Web Server B with the normal web.config settings and in your SL App, you specify the absolute URI to Web Server B and you have deployed the client access policy on Web Server B?