Some files fail when using uploader

Jul 25, 2012 at 5:42 PM

I am using the uploadFileDialog tool to have users upload files to our file server. Most files work fine, but every once in a while a file will refuse to upload, giving a The remote server returned an error: NotFound. error. It doesn't seem to be linked to file type, size or location.

Jul 25, 2012 at 6:12 PM

More information:

Seems to be linked to AutoCAD .DWG files. The upload correctly if under ~600KB when using the dialog to pick them, and work correctly up to about ~800KB when using drag and drop.

Jul 25, 2012 at 6:43 PM

Do they fail straight away for do they start to upload and then fail?

Assuming the request actually makes it to the server, are you overriding the OnError method to log exceptions?

You can also look in the Server side machine event log for asp.net errors.

Aug 8, 2012 at 2:43 PM

They seem to partially upload, then fail. I have a PDF that is 1.28MB that fails, yet most other smaller PDFs work fine.

Aug 8, 2012 at 2:45 PM

Did you review the event logs for exceptions? Something to help narrow down the error would be beneficial.

Aug 8, 2012 at 2:47 PM

Also, if the PDF is not private, can you try and upload here or email it to support@highspeed-solutions.net so we can test with the file that's failing.

Aug 8, 2012 at 2:49 PM

I think I just saw it come thru; 79702 Release - Elec.pdf - 891 KB

Aug 8, 2012 at 2:51 PM

Yes, that was a compressed version that worked on your site, but not on mine. I tried the 1.28MB one, but it said the file was too large. I'm looking through the server logs and trying to find any sort of error right now. Im not exactly sure what I need to look for though.

Aug 8, 2012 at 2:53 PM

In the settings at the bottom of the site, there is a setting. Just change the max upload size to something larger.

Aug 8, 2012 at 2:53 PM

I just email the original file that wont work to the email you suggested. I really dont understand why some files just wont work .

Aug 8, 2012 at 2:54 PM

As for errors, just look for anything around the time you tried the upload. There shouldn't be anything so if there is, then it should be related to the error. Also, if running in dev, you can put a break point in the OnError override and confirm that is being hit.

Aug 8, 2012 at 3:00 PM

I added a breakpoint to OnError in uploadHandler at the string file = this.GetFilePath(); line, when I uploaded the file, I did get an error, but it never hit the breakpoint.